Wednesday, February 2, 2011

MONSTER MOTHER

I HATE SNOW DAYS, SICK DAYS, VACATIONS AND HOLIDAYS OF ANY KIND. There, I've said. I hate it when my child is home for 24 hours a day for more than 2 days at a time. She has been home 19 of the last 20 days due to illness, snow, oversleeping (once). We are stranded inside because the wind chill factors are below zero. Cant even go outside to play it is so cold. We are eating crap food because we ran out of healthy (mostly). I made chicken and noodles last night using legs and thighs that I have had forever and was never going to use. We even had mashed potatoes and pea salad. Fat, fat, fat. Someone brought me a package of ground beef yesterday but how would they know I only buy super extra lean ground beef and they gave me that 70/30 crap. I could rinse the fat off if my hot water worked. It is still frozen. The snow in my living room has not melted yet. All day long, all I hear is I am hungry. Well darn it, I do not feel good. My thumb still hurts, I have a headache, you wake me up at 3 in the a.m. and do not go back to sleep. You ask me questions while I am trying to go back to sleep and in my stupor I think I have answered you but that is only in my head. I have not actually spoken. So you scream at me. So I try to mumble the answer as best I can although I am EXHAUSTED. I lay in bed until 9 a.m. in this stupor of not sleeping, but not really awake, and every now and then I hear - my tummy is hurting me - so I hand you a piece of a blueberry muffin that I have under my pillow for some reason. I have the bottle of spray margarine in the window sill and I spray it twice. This happens about every 30-45 minutes until I finally get up and put the rest of the muffin away. Now I am up. The inside of my mouth feels raw and hurts, like I burned it on something. I am sick of Dora, Diego, Ruby and Max, Barney, but most of all myself. Why don't I want to play games with her. We have them. Why don't I want to read to her? We have tons of books. Why don't I want to do anything but lay down and cover up and be left alone? I feel like a monster. BUT even though I feel this way, yesterday she looked at me and said "Mommy, I'm glad you aren't like my daddy". So even though I feel like a monster, she knows who the real monster is.


So I will sing the song from Annie "The sun will come out tomorrow......." and hopefully it will, the snow will melt, she will get back into the routine of going to school.  That will be a chore.  She has been home for so many days, she won't want to go back.  I feel for the teacher and the staff those first few days and for me on those mornings when I am again playing the cheerleader, trying to think of a million reasons she needs to go to school; her friends miss her, she has to learn, it is the law, etc.  


Actually, the sun is out today but doubt it is warm enough to melt anything.  Just got a phone call from the guardian of Marissa's best friend.  She was just checking on me.  That in itself brought me to tears.  She is bringing me some toilet paper.  A necessity that I am almost out of.  So now, I am tearful and depressed.   So I'm off to watch TV.  Cant do much cleaning with just one hand although I am trying to clean an explosion in the bathroom right now.  Poop everywhere.  I think it is time for the serenity prayer.  


Peace, Love, Dove,


Janis

3 comments:

  1. I think everyone feels this way at somepoint. I know we aren't there yet with Judith (who is snuggled on daddy's side of the bed eating her lunch) but with my other girls there are times that I am just ready for it to be a school day or for them to be spending time with the other parent. My step-daughters live with their mom & at times after having all 5 kiddos running around, making messes, tattling, yelling, screaming & fighting authority I am just ready for them to go home & it to be bed time. I think it just makes us human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. My son also has PWS. He is 4 1/2. I have had my share of horrible days. It sounds like you need some help. Can someone come over and help you with her? Do you have friends or relatives close by? My husband has recently returned home from a deployment in Afghanistan. While he was away, I had to take care of Preston (pws) and my other son Easton who was just 1 month old at the time my husband left. If you have friends and relatives close by and they aren't helping let me ask... WHAT IN THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

    Just remember how wonderful your little girl is and that this is the PWS and not her. They are so sweet and they brighten everyone's day by their smiles.
    If she hates school, I would strongly suggest trying to find out why. Is someone mean to her? Preston LOVES school and wouldn't miss it for the world. I will be wishing you strength and patience today.

    Kathy Schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Janis! I am right there with you - I hate snow days etc as well. They make me totally nervous and jumpy and claustrophobic, two kids around constantly all day, bored and always seemingly on the verge of a fight. And in your case, 20+ days with absolutely no break, it is totally natural to feel at the end of your rope!!

    If you'd like to move to my part of Ohio, there are lots of homes for sale up here, cost-of-living is pretty good,....hint

    Hugs, Jen

    ReplyDelete