Friday, January 14, 2011

Pink Boots and High Anxiety

Audrianna got some pink boots in the mail the other day along with two pairs of tights and a long sleeve shirt. She is modeling one outfit in the picture. The boots are a big hit. Pink is definitely her favorite color. We are very fortunate to have such generous friends.

Today, she is home sick (and wearing the pink boots with her sleep shirt) with an intestinal problem. I am trying to put it delicately but there is nothing delicate about diarrhea, especially in a child who has trouble making it to the bathroom quick enough. Needless to say, my morning started out badly. Cleaning poop off her, the bed, the pillows (she was trying to crawl out at the head of the bed). My motto is "It's always about the poop."

All the time I am cleaning, she is crying, afraid that I am mad, upset or disappointed. These are her three words she uses all the time. "Are you upset with me, mad or disappointed with me?" She asks this question a lot. I feel so bad for her that she worries about this. I know she asks if other people are worried, mad or disappointed with her too or I would really feel guilty, like I had given her a complex. I blame it on the high anxiety associated with PWS. She sees a mental health therapist once a week and she is trying to help her deal with some of this anxiety. Right now Audrianna's biggest worry is that I am going to die while she is still a kid. These worries are not unfounded since I almost did die this summer and I am recovering from that still. I try to reassure her but I have a hard time promising that I won't die before she is a grownup. I come as close as I can without exactly promising. I guess this is my biggest worry, too; and it is probably affecting us both. So her counselor recommended I get some counseling. Probably not a bad idea.

Well I've got to go, she is calling me.  .....

Janis
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Wiping a tear from my eye! I am so thankful Janis that you pulled through this last summer, I know I was so worried about you, and knew there was something wrong, just because I couldn't find you! I kept asking/posting if anyone had heard from you, finally your sister responded to me... I tried to get the word out for you... I just wish I were in a better position to help you more!!! Big Hugs friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and LOVE the pink boots!!! She is such a doll!

    ReplyDelete