Sunday, January 16, 2011

GOODBYE TEACHER

Many of you who know us, will remember that Audrianna was having some pretty serious problems at school.  These problems improved overnight when she got a new teacher.  Ms. Hodge is a dream.  I will not mention her previous teacher by name but we are so happy she is no longer teaching Audrianna's class.  Today, I was in the living room and found Audrianna's class picture from last year torn to shreds.  I was upset at first but went in her room and asked her why she did that.  She said "Those teachers were mean to me, they hurt me, so goodbye teachers."  I did not scold her for tearing up the picture.  I thought it was a good way for her to express the anger she must have felt for being so mistreated at school.  No child should have to go through what she went through. Seclusion, restraint, isolation, bruises, belittling comments.  Last week when I took Audrianna to school after an appointment, she went up to the computer teacher and asked for a hug.  The computer teacher looked at me and then said "No, I cannot hug you."  I looked puzzled and asked why.  Audrianna's former teacher had told everyone at school (adults) that I said no one was allowed to hug Audrianna.  I was furious once more with this teacher who is long gone and out of state.  I reassured everyone that I had never said that but one assistant still refused to hug her when she asked for a hug.  I left a note for the principal telling her and she said she knew I had not said that and she would clear the matter up with all the staff.  

FYI:  Audrianna loves to give hugs and last summer at camp, they gave her an award as best hugger.  This was a new category just for her.  She gives awesome hugs and is a loving child.  I think our kids with PWS are great huggers.  

2 comments:

  1. Great Post...MJ loves to hug too...they have such sweet soft giving hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear they are great huggers! I am hoping Olivia will be very snuggly, as is my older daughter. I love it.

    ReplyDelete